- Dish type
- Cakes with fruit
- Pear cake
This pear cake is fruity and moist and a great way to use up excess windfalls in pear season. Serve with some vanilla ice cream or extra thick double cream.
21 people made this
- 4 pears, peeled and cored
- 200g plain flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 70g brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 egg whites
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:1hr20min ›Ready in:1hr30min
- Preheat the oven to 160 C / Gas 3. Grease a 20cm cake tin
- In a food processor, purée one of the pears and transfer to a bowl. Mix in the flour, baking powder, milk, water, sugar, honey, cinnamon and ginger. Mix well. Chop two of the remaining three pears and mix into the cake mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form then fold into the cake mixture.
- Slice the remaining pear and arrange on the bottom of the prepared cake tin. Pour over the cake mixture.
- Bake for 60 to 80 minutes until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.